Wednesday, July 2, 2008

light summer breezes, heavy DC realities

June was International Torture Awareness Month. It was also a pretty heavy time in my research. I wrote 2 NewsNotes articles for our upcoming July/August issue. One was on the latest [and greatest] torture update, and one was on Blackwater Worldwide. I can include the links when they’re published.

It grieves me to think about the abuses our government officials have authorized and persons in the intelligence and military communities have carried out. Turns out that prisoners kept in Guantánamo (known for its coercive methods) were treated pretty moderately when compared to the horror at Bagram Air Base or Kandahar Base, both in Afghanistan. Who have we become?

A
NYT article today showed that many of the techniques used to interrogate detainees at GITMO came from a Chinese Communist Coercion manual that the US Air Force studied after the Korean War. It was supposed to be a guide to inform military personnel of some of the unlawful techniques (back in the ‘50s they called it “brainwashing”) that the Chinese used against US POWs. The thing is, these techniques mostly yielded bogus intelligence. US people were admitting to acts that didn’t even make sense.

And THIS…THIS is what our officials have authorized to use on others that WE’RE interrogating. The US. Interrogating people who are “said” to be involved in some sort of terrorism. I’m not denying that there may be some in US custody right now who have participated on some level with terrorism. But why…why?...have we compromised tried and true techniques for the more aggressive, less moral, illegal, more dehumanizing approach that uses cruelty and torture? Especially when the oft-coveted-yet-elusive-“actionable intelligence” fails to come through when people are kept in stress positions, denied sleep, subjected to extreme temperatures, beaten, humiliated, forced to endure interrogations for hours on end, etc.

The recent Supreme Court case (on habeas corpus – decided on June 12) allows detainees to question their imprisonment. This just means they’ll have a voice in US courts, which is a basic right understood from the beginning of the US democracy and before. It’s what distinguishes a democracy from a tyranny. Or it used to. The current administration has taken huge steps to increasing [virtually] unchecked executive power and privilege, in the name of “war-time” necessity. The expansion of executive power is news-worthy and cause for concern unless it happens under our noses. Then it’s done on the sly and in the cover of double-talk and manipulation. Add to the mix a capitulating Congress and we’ve got a big hot mess. On several fronts. So I know I’m coming on strong, but I think we need to wake up to the travesty that’s happening in my [literal] backyard. (I live 3 miles north of the White House).

Onto more pleasant news: the recent weather has been beautiful (how’s that for a switch in topic??) Have I mentioned lately that I love riding my bike? Because I do. It’s glorious. And I’m just becoming a little bike mechanic because of some issues my new-used-bike has been having. Repairs have been minor, but they’ve included 2 flat back tire / re-installations and putting a doo-hickey-metal thing back into my left gear shifter… thing-a-ma-jig.

Also, I was fortunate enough to get to join the Jamisons for some beach-vacating last week. 2.5 days in the Outer Banks (ironically in Blackwater country – their 6000 acre complex not far from where we were), relaxing in the beautiful rented beach house, taking long walks on the beach (*smile*), and bobbing around the Atlantic for a bit (“outside!!”).

There are 7 of us (4 current DYers and 3 others) who are talking about living in community next year here in DC. We’re house-hunting, and while we’re learning the neighborhoods around us a little better, we haven’t found anything just yet that we’ve signed up for. Prayers are appreciated for clarity in a) what house, b) finances, c) community members securing jobs, d) resolution to who indeed will be living together. It’s a time fraught with excitement, anticipation, apprehension, and day-dreaming.

Just a final thought: I can’t believe it’s July, and I’m sad that we’re on a count-down for DY. I’m living in a tension, though, because I get to see Alan and Beth the DAY after I’m officially “done” with DY. Talk about bittersweet! The redemption comes in the knowledge that all of my current housemates could end up in the city next year…which would make our parting less sorrowful.

Remind me to reflect on the challenges of loving neighbors. Because we’re neighbors with a few kinds of people – those with homes and those without. What to do when interests clash? Next time…

1 comment:

Katy said...

outside!!!

love you.