* Before I began at Jubilee Jobs, I started The Shack. I'll admit I was intrigued because several people I love and respect recommended it to me, but I was also skeptical: how could it actually be all that great? Michael W. Smith is on the back of the book raving about it for crying out loud! For the first 4 chapters, it really wasn't all that great - the author was really into the way he described things (the lump out of the dude's head rose "like a humpback whale over the waves of his thinning hair" .. or something equally gag-reflex-esque).
BUT - from the 5th chapter on I ate my words! This book resonated with me; it struck something inside me that has continued to spark my imagination, particularly in regards to how I view God and what kinds of things I'm thinking about related to community, relationships, God's triune characteristics, the foundational truths that I sometimes pass over, and just a whole mess more.
Some favorite quotes:
"The choice to hide so many wonders from you is an act of love that is a gift inside the process of life.""This garden is your soul. This mess is you! Together, you and I, we have been working with a purpose in your heart. And it is wild and beautiful and perfectly in process. To you it seems like a mess, but to me, I see a perfect pattern emerging and growing and alive..."
There were plenty more good quotes. I recommend the read. And then let's talk about it.
* Recent Frustration
It all stems back from me not being the greatest planner-aheader. I had 45 days to get my temporary registration on my car switched to a for-real registration. That requires an inspection, and then a trip to the DMV. Sounds charming, right? My deadline was Oct. 5 (that's ...today). So about 10 days ago I realized I had 10 days and began to think about getting my car inspected. I went online and scheduled for Thursday, Oct 2 (leaving myself 2 extra days for DMV hours...gooooo me).
Well, Thursday I drove to work (instead of my usual bike-ride) to anticipate booking it down to SW to get my car inspected. Well, I chose an alternate route than google maps (silly me) and was talking on the phone (strike 2) and wasn't exactly sure where I was going, so had just glanced down at my directions (during stop and go traffic around 5:15p in downtown DC = gross) when *BUMP* ... I hit the car in front of me.
[this story takes a while...shocker, eh?] So - I had bumped into the rear bumper of this silver Toyota Camry. I felt bad, b/c it's true, I was distracted. But the lady started our interaction by saying that when I hit her, it had made her head snap back [on the headrest] and she was feeling dizzy; at a different point she told me she had called a family member because she didn't feel comfortable driving. I did truly feel penitent - but dizzy? Unable to drive? I quickly began to get annoyed: a) at myself; b) at missing my inspection time; c) at drama queen lady; d) at the crappy situation.
So I called my dad (gotta love cell phones) and then called 911. They dispatched an ambulance and those guys went to the Camry driver to see if she was alright. The cop lady came and shortly after the Camry lady dismissed the ambulance guys. The cop initially thought this would be not a big deal - just exchanging information. But as she assessed the lady's drama level, she had the awareness that this may not settle nice & neat, so she wrote a formal report. I drive a green car and there was absolutely NO damage to silver-bumper lady's car. I took 4 pictures on my camera phone (at the suggestion of a sympathetic bystander) and am fully prepared to send them to whomever. The cop sent me away with a $25 "failure to pay full attention" ticket (which she helpfully hinted could be contested..) and apologized to me for what I was being made to go through (she said, "off the record, I think this lady is BS-ing you").
*sigh* Anyway, on Friday my insurance called me (I had reported it immediately) asking what happened. APPARently, the lady is going to try to FILE A CLAIM to the incident! I am befuddled trying to think of things she could possibly claim. Imagine you were parallel parking and nudged the car in front of you a little too much. That'd be similar to what I did to her car. It was NOTHING. But this is just something I have to deal with now. go-ooo-lll-y! Piece of huffin cow patties!
Ok. Enough ranting. I'm sure more could follow. At this point, I will close this lengthy 2-topic reflection and just try to check in more. Life is moving rapidly and I have yet to feel secure in a balance that would sustain me. I need more of this reflection time...so I'll have to work at carving that out still.
For those that made it all the way down the post - good work! Wishing you all wellness and autumn-ness :)
1 comment:
love you. glad i get to hear your processing and be in your life.
Post a Comment